Sunday, May 11, 2014

10 life lessons I learned from my Mom

In twenty five years, I'm sure my mom has spent thousands of hours trying to teach me and my siblings important life lessons and whatnot. Probably less than half stuck, but the older I get the more what she said tends to make sense. (Gasp, I know. Cliche, but true.) 


1. Be the bigger person. It's hard and it sucks, but it's the right thing to do. 

2. When you are in your twenties, you have to get over your aversion to strangers. Be nice and smile, it won't kill you. (But not to the creepy guy in the van - he very well may kill you)

3. You'll never learn to cook or bake if you don't try. If you married a good man he'll attempt to eat it the first few times it's bad anyways. 

4. Make your husband happy to come home. Be glad to see him. Of course he should be your sounding board for the problems in your life, but you can at least let him take his shoes off first. 

5. Family is precious. You never know if this will be the last Christmas or birthday. Make the memories while you can. 


6. If you are scared, they will sense it and take advantage of you. This was first taught in regards to a show steer - but honestly can be applied across the board and to humans as well. Act like you have the control and you will. 

7. Babies are expensive and tiring. They will turn into toddlers who will ask five million questions a day and then will turn into moody angry teenagers. But they will be worth it, a million times over. 

8. You can do anything a boy can do - and while it's always good to be self-sufiiciant it doesn't hurt to ask him to help you sometimes. Yes, you could probably do it but sometimes men are sensitive too and it's good for their pride to feel needed now and again. 

9. Being frugal is an art. You can buy the offbrand product, it usually tastes the same anyways (but always buy name brand q-tips and klennex). 

10. Eat the cookies, especially if they are being sold by a cute little kid at a garage sale. Drink the wine, you probably deserve it. But don't ruin your dinner.  


And because of the past few years, she has become such a huge part of my life, here's just a few things I've learned from my mother-in-law over the years...

1. Have a signature dish to take to family functions. Your in-laws will always ask for it and make you feel great. Mine is broccoli-cheese casserole. I will forever be proud of the fact that it was the cause of a nine-year-old willingly eating broccoli. 

2. Have one or two hobbies that are just for you. If it benefits your family with fresh produce and yearly scrapbooks, that's great, but it's ok (and good) to have something that makes you happy that you do alone. 

3. When he asks for help working cows, always go. He will most likely yell and cuss and get angry when things don't go as planned. He will say things that hurt your feelings. It's best to learn to tune it out, help when you can, and step back when you can't. He appreciates his help even if he doesn't say it every time. He didn't mean the things he said, and he may not apologize, but the temper runs in his blood and if you love him you'll learn to love (or at least live with) the flaws as well. 


11 comments:

  1. Such a good post and list Jamie!!! All true. I'm still searching for that signature dish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hang in there on the dish! I didn't figure this one out until a few years ago, so it takes some time!

      Delete
  2. Just saw this - at work - early on a Monday morning - and yes, there were tears! Beautiful - I'm glad some of the important stuff "stuck"!!

    Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post, Jamie.

    #2 - My Mom always asked me "What or where does being shy get you in life."
    #5 - There is nothing like family. Even at my age I am learning still learning their true value in my life (my family and J's family too).
    #9 - Grandpa and Mom always told us "Food is a good investment." The Q-tip lesson is a one time deal, lol!

    Your Mother-in-Law sounds like a seasoned ranch/farm wife. Her words are that of experience and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks as always for stopping by Robyn, always enjoy your comments and words of wisdom!

      Delete
  4. Oh I do love your ten things. The things you learned from your MIL #3 IS SO TRUE. I think anyone who farms with their husband gets that one. Your MIL is wise and your Mom oh yes I can tell you listened to her and she is so proud of you. Great advice from both women, advice that we will pass down to our daughters no doubt. B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do love your ten things. The things you learned from your MIL #3 IS SO TRUE. I think anyone who farms with their husband gets that one. Your MIL is wise and your Mom oh yes I can tell you listened to her and she is so proud of you. Great advice from both women, advice that we will pass down to our daughters no doubt. B

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to think!