Wednesday, February 27, 2013

So God Made a Farmer's Wife

I know it's been a while since the Super Bowl and the debut of the stunning, So God Made a Farmer commercial. However, one of the farm wife's I'm friends with on Facebook wrote this piece in dedication to the farmer's wife in response to the Paul Harvey commercial. I don't think it's ever too late to share something this good. Again, these aren't my own words, but Megan agreed to let me share them with you. Enjoy.

Inspired by the Super Bowl commercial and a comment from my youngest sister, Tory, I have fashioned this reply to Paul Harvey’s speech. Dedicated to my Mom, sisters and hundreds of farm wives that are some of the most spectacular women I know. This is for you… 

And on the 9th day God looked down and said, “I have just asked a lot of this old boy, he is going to need some help,” So God made a farmer’s wife. 
God said, “She has to get up before dawn and not let that farmer hit snooze for the third time, cook breakfast while he is milking cows, wake and ready the brood for school, take supper to him in the field and remind him to quit in time to get to the school board meeting in town.” So God made a farmer’s wife. 
“I need someone strong enough to carry his children and at 8 months along run cows out of corn field. Someone to run for parts, come home and throw a meal together and deliver another meal to a sick neighbor. Someone to mend his clothes and keep them clean, who will deliver her good towels and own hair dryer to the barn to warm a shivering calf.” So God made a farmer’s wife. 
“I need someone who will trade off with him in the barn while saving that newborn colt. And when it dies, she will cry, when he says, ‘Maybe next year.’ Someone who can use that ax and knows where to find it. Who can fashion a child’s belt out of baling twine, while running horses back in and fixing the hot wire. And who at planting time finishes her forty-hour week by Tuesday noon, 16 of those hours at her in town job.” So God made a farmer’s wife. 
God knew that farmer would need someone out there bucking bales & bouncing along at double speed helping get that hay in ahead of the rain. Someone who would run with him to the neighbors’ when he sees smoke and then come up with enough food to feed the tired, hungry, impromptu firemen. So God made a farmer’s wife. 
God said, “She has to be strong enough to heave bales, scoop out bins, carry feed buckets, yet gentle enough to fix a child’s boo-boo with a duct tape & shop towel bandage in the middle of a field. It has to be someone who won’t cut corners when it comes to the land and animals but cut them in her clothing, grocery, beautician and decorating budget. Somebody to seed, weed, feed, breed and rake and disc and plow and mix calf bottles and load livestock and haul them to town. Who makes sure everyone is bathed and in the pew Sunday morning for church.” 
“Somebody who would trust his guidance, but offer her suggestions, as he baled his family together in love and sharing. Who gently reminds him of who he is working for. Someone who would laugh, then sigh and then reply with smiling eyes, when her daughter says she wants to grow up and ‘marry a farmer.’” So God made a farmer’s wife. 
Megan Gottman

For another perspective on this topic, check out this similar post by Diane over at her blog, A Farm Wife.

**This post has gotten tons of views, and I appreciate that! However, if you care to repost this poem or share on your own blog, PLEASE include a link back to me and give credit where credit is do! Megan is a talented writer and I would be so ashamed and sad if someone was to claim her words as their own. She gave me her permission to share these words, so please do us both a favor and don't share without proper credit. Thanks.**

24 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! Love every word of it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a farmers wife.... yet...but I love this alot!! Thank you for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great comments guys! I thought it was too good not to share, I'm glad she was up for me posting so other's could enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good! I love being the farmer's wife. I would not trade this lifestyle for anything. Some things in life are so precious. I am sure that other farm wives feel just like I do. So, it is true, God Made a Farmer's Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW I was sent this by Robyn and I am so happy she sent the link. This is so true. I have been a farmers wife for 35 years and this is so true to form.
    I can see that talented writing runs in the family. This made me tear up and made me smile remembering back to those times you speak of. There are no longer children running around needing that duct tape or belt here on our farm but My Hero and I are still working side by side as long as we can. The pace has slowed a little and outside duties for myself have decreased for myself for health reasons BUT I am still that farmers wife and would not change a thing. Great writing.Thank you for sharing. B

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! REally, really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great! thanks for sharing! I've been a farmer's wife for 26 years and counting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with Erin. I'm not a farmers wife yet, but I love this!! Does being a farmers girlfriend count? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being a farmer's girlfriend totally counts! You are required to do a lot of the same things!

      Delete
  9. I'm a farmer's daughter and a farmer's sister and a farmer's daughter-in-law and this made me cry. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its nice that someone rocognises a farm wife the way they really are the way I grew up and the work that my mom did when everyone said oh you are just a farm wife, you dont work ya right if they only knew

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a farmer's daughter, farmer's wife, farmer's daughter-in-law, farmer's sister.. and darned proud of it. You made me cry, too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Instead of farmer's wife, maybe replace with "farm woman". Equal in importance instead of just secondary in role to the farmer. Both are essential to the farming enterprise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I actually didn't write this piece, simply was allowed to share it by a Facebook friend who did write it. She herself is a farmer's wife and wrote it in relation to her own personal life experiences and role on their farm. In her particular situation (and many others like myself!) we work on the farm alongside our husbands, and that is what she wrote about.

      I do agree that women are of equal importance on the farm, and I if you saw the original "So God Made a Farmer" piece (http://unchartedrhoade.blogspot.com/2013/02/so-god-made-farmer.html) I think you'll see that it can represent both men and women farmers (I know it says he/him/his in the original but I think it can apply to both)! I think everyone can agree It isn't about the particular words in either piece, but more about the meaning! :)

      Delete
  13. Norma Its been quite a few years, but I identify with these wonderful words put together that so describes what it is like to be a farmers wife. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful! As a young farmer's wife with a growing family, every time I read it, it brings tears to my eyes, every word is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clever, touching and wholly accurate words from Megan! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely!!! Wishing you and your's a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just read this on Holstein World
    it was wonderful thank you so much for sharing!
    A very Happy Mothers day to you!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to think!